Feeds RSS

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Knoebels, More Stuff

Continuing...
One thing that has me inordinately mad about Knoebels is that they started to build what seems like the potential for the most awesome wooden rollercoaster ever... and then they stopped. It was called The Flying Turns, and it's a coaster without a track. Instead the car will go through a sled like series of bends and luges making the ride slightly different with the weight displacement and OH MY GOD HOW AWESOME DOES THAT SOUND. It was set to open this year, and instead sits a half finished hulk.

There's a lot of explanations on their website about how they didn't anticipate the difficulties of designing a ride like this and.... whatever. I will personally kidnap a hoard of physicists and steal a few copies of CAD for them to figure this one out. No excuses, dammit, this must be completed and I must ride with the 20 fattest men I can find to get the full gravity effect.

Alright... Calming down. On the brighter side, they have a ridiculous number of hurdy gurdys and carusol music makers around the park. You know, the ones which play Sousa marches with the figurines in front. Sadly, the makers were never allowed to see a woman before carving one, so they substituted the face of their uncle Ned.

Also, they hadn't seen one unclothed, so they just winged that one.


And, in the one last awesome thing category, see if you can remember this water fountain:
There were literally dozens of these around when I was a kid in the eighties. I remember zebras, tigers, bears and Mr. Lion here. It makes me so happy to see he's still around. Not that I'd stick my head in there to drink if I was paid, that's just nasty and some kid probably slobbered all over the faucet, but still, it's good it exists.

No comments: